English Racing Automobiles, or ERA, was founded by Humphrey Cook, Raymond Mays, and Peter Berthon in November 1933 and started to produce racing cars in 1,500 cc voiturette class in 1934. In 1934 4 cars designated as ERA A were built designed by peter Berthon and Reid Railton. Cars were powered by 3 types of 6-cylinder engines (1.0, 1.5 and 1,9 L) with Roots supercharger. 1.5 L engine corresponding to voiturette regulations was capable of 175 bhp at 6500 rpm. In 1935 13 more cars were built designated as ERA B. The A and B were absolutely identical and differed only in year of production. ERA C and D series were built in 1937 and 1938 respectively. ERA cars quickly became very popular in Britain, and constituted the significant part of the starting grin in many local and international voiturette and Grand Prix racing until 1950. The black-painted car, R1B, the first B chassis built in 1935, was raced in 1935 – 1937. In 1935 season R1B was used by Richard Seaman, who drove this privately entered vehicle to victories in Coppa Acerbo, Prix de Berne and Masarykuv Okruh. Later in 1936-1937 this ERA was raced by other British drivers, but not of a caliber of Seaman. The Matchbox 1:35 scale model of the 1980s is from “Models of Yesteryear” series. The same model is also available in Siamese pale blue and yellow colors modeling Prince Bira “Romulus” car.
|Richard Seaman||7||R. Seaman|