The Merecedes-BenzW125 used by Daimler-Benz AG during the 1937 Grand Prix season was the most powerful pre-war Grand Prix car. Only in early 1980s turbo-era Formula 1 cars were able to surpass it in power. Designed by Daimler-Benz engineering team lead by Rudolf Uhlenhaut, W125 was powered by supercharged 8-Cylinder 5.6-litre engine capable to develop 595 horse power. The W125 won 6 out of 12 races where it took part, and Rudolf Caracciola won the European Driver’s Championship with the W125. Mercedes driver lineup for 1937 was Rudolf Caracciola, Manfred von Brauchitsch and Hermann Lang as drivers with British Richard Seaman and Swiss Christian Kautz as junior drivers and Italian Goffredo Zehender as reserve. Daimler-Benz drivers won 4 out of 5 European Championship races in 1937 – Caracciola was victorious in German, Swiss and Italian Grand Prix; Manfred von Brauchitsch won in Monaco. The rivals from Auto Union could only take one GP in Belgium. This scale model by IXO is from a gift set of 3 racing Mercedes-Benz cars accompanied Altaya La Legende Mercedes-Benz Collection. The car can be attributed as Caracciola’s winning car from the 1937 German Grand Prix.
|1937||Grand Prix||German GP|
|Rudolf Cracciola||12||Daimler-Benz AG|
|1:43||IXO||Altaya La Legende Mercedes-Benz Collection|