In 1950 Ferrari tried different designs in the inaugural Formula 1 World Champoinship season. The 125 constructed by Gioacchino Colombo was fitted with 1.5-litre supercharged V12 engine, but achieved only modest success, forcing Ferrari to move to 4.5-litre normally aspirated motor. The goal was achieved later in the season with the 375 model, while the 275 was an intermediate variant. Both 275 and 375 used the same chassis, but 275 was powered by 3.3-litre engine, designed by the new chief designer Aurelio Lampredi. The experimental motor was tested at the 1950 Mille Miglia 1950 on 275S, based on the 166 MM. The 3.3-litre F1 was ready for the Belgian Grand Prix where Alberto Ascari drove the car to fifth place. In the next race, GP de Nationes in Geneva, the 275 was replaced with 340 F1, fitted with a larger 4.1-liter version of Lampredi’s V12. And finally full-displacement version of 4.5-litre, the 375, debuted at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza in September 1950.
|Alberto Ascari||20||Scuderia Ferrari|
|1:43||IXO||Fabbri Ferrari F1 Collection|