The W154 competed in the 1938 and 1939 Grand Prix seasons and was used by Rudolf Caracciola to win the 1938 European Championship. After the war one of the remaining W154 (the car with which Lang had won the Coppa Ciano in 1938) was sold to Don Lee, an American racing team owner. In 1947 Lee entered his W154 with Duke Nalon as the driver. The team used some Mercedes engine blueprints to prepare the original engine. Although Nalon set the second fastest qualifying speed, but as he was unable to qualify on Pole Day but once he had qualified he had the 18th starting spot. During the race, the replacement piston failed after 119 laps and the car had to retire from the race being classified in 16th position. Next year Don Lee’s W154 was driven in Indy 500 by Chet Miller, relieved by Ken Fowler and then by Louis Tomei. In 1949 the car was sold to Joel Thorne, another team owner. Thorne replaced Mercedes engine with Sparks straight-six, but driving the car himself failed to qualify for the race. The final appearance of ex-Don Lee W154 at Indianapolis was in 1957. The car was now owned by Edward Shreve, and had a Jaguar straight-six engine fitted. Danny Kladis drove the car, but failed to qualify.
|1947||AAA National Championship||Indianapolis 500|
|Duke Nalon||46||Don Lee, Inc.|
|Mercedes W154||Mercedes||Don Lee Mercedes|