The Shannon Racing Cars was short-lived Formula One project founded by Aiden Jones, formerly a mechanic for Prince Bira and Prince Chula, and Paul Emery, former owner of Emeryson. The only Shannon car was designed by Emery and featured steel monocoque frame, upper and lower wishbone front suspension with outboard brake and anti-roll bar. The power unit was old Coventry Climax 2.5-litre FPE Godiva V8 engine which had been built 12 years earlier in 1954 for Kieft F1. Paul Emery bored out the engine to convert to the 1966 3-litre F1 format, used a Tecalemit Jackson fuel injection. The 2-valve gear-driven DOHC 3-litre crossplane V8 developed 312 bhp. The car was raced in F1 only once, in the 1966 British Grand prix. Shannon team arrived at Brands Hatch with Syd Fox as the driver, who drove on the practice day. However, the decision was made to offer the seat to Trevor Taylor, who qualified and started the race. After one lap, one of the pannier tanks developed a leak, and the car was retired. The car was then used for Formula 3 known as Shannon Mk1, powered by an EMC engine and driven by Australian John Wilson through to 1969.
|Trevor Taylor||23||Shannon Racing Cars|