Beginning in 1971, all dirt races were split from the National Championship. From 1971 to 1980, the series was named “National Dirt Car Championship”, then renamed “Silver Crown Series” in 1981. Technically, the cars of the USAC Championship Dirt Division were restricted to a minimum 96-inch wheelbase. Power limits were the same as those for the short sprint cars. An engine utilizing an overhead camshaft design is restricted to 256.284 cubic inches; stock block engines are permitted to go as high as 305.1 cubic inches. The specific feature of sprint and dirt cars were roll cages over the cockpit. They were highly recommended on sprint cars by USAC in 1970, and were a mandatory deal by 1971. They have been mandatory on the dirt champ cars since 1972.
In the 1974 season National Dirt Car Championship winner was Mario Andretti in his car entered by Vel Miletich and Parnelli Jones. This car marked last Mario’s Championship on dirt and his last race in a Dirt Champ car. In the 1974 Dirt Car Championship there were only five races. Mario won three of them, at Sedalia, Springfield and DuQuoin, and finished 2nd and 3rd in the others. The car he drove in the Championship was King – Ford built by Grant King in his Indianapolis shop. The scale model is from rare GMP Dirt Champ Car Legends 3-car set, representing Foyt’s 1969, Al Unser’s 1970, and Mario Andretti’s 1974 Dirt Champ cars.
|1974||USAC National Dirt Car Championship|
|Mario Andretti||2||Vel’s Parnelli Jones Racing|
|King||Ford||Vel’s Parnelli Jones|
|1:43||GMP||Dirt Champ Legends|
Limited edition of 1032 pcs.