The new version of Ferrari F2 car, the 553, was the interim car designed by Aurelio Lampredi with new 1954 Formula 1 regulations in mind. The engine was completely redesigned, with a shorter stroke and other modifications and, thanks to complete interchangeability, could also be used in the F1 version. New tubular frame chassis featured of the distinctive rounded bodywork and air-intake, because of which the car was nicknamed Squalo, meaning Shark in Italian. The new car was first raced at Monza in 1953 Italian Grand Prix. Two 553 were driven by Umberto Maglioli and Piero Carini, “junior” members of Scuderia, while Ascari, Villoresi, Farina and Hawthorn had the 500s. Maglioli finished the race in 10th position, while Carini retired because of engine failure. Carini made his name finishing third in the 1950 Modena GP with a sports OSCA. In 1952 he was invited to drive Ferrari 166 F2 and sports cars for Scuderia Marzotto, and started in two World Championship Grand Prix – in France and Germany. Next year he was signed by Ferrari as junior team member. He raced for Scuderia only occasionally and therefore decided to move to Alfa Romeo to race in their touring and sports cars. Carini raced in sports cars until his death in 1957 in tragic accident during 1500 cc sports car race in St. Etienne.
|Piero Carini||12||Scuderia Ferrari|
|1:43||IXO||Fabbri Ferrari F1 Collection|