The Scottish racing team Ecurie Ecosse was founded in November 1951 by Edinburgh businessman and racing driver David Murray and mechanic Wilkie Wilkinson. The team took part in World Drivers’ Championship races in 1952 – 1954 entering only for the British GP each year. The teams highlight came in 1956 and 1957, winning the 24 Hours of LeMans in Jaguar D-Type. Ecurie Ecosse raced in Le Mans until 1962, and in 1969 – 1971 took part in the European Formula 2 Championship. David Murray himself drove the Cooper T20 Formula 2 car in the 1952 British GP. The car was produced in 1952 and was powered by a L6 Bristol engine. The Bristol engine had been chosen because it was viewed as the best available 2-liter unit at the time. The manufacturer, Bristol Aeroplane Company based the six-cylinder engine’s design on the pre-war BMW 328. The engine displaced 1971cc with hover-head valves actuated by cross-pushrods. In its developed form it produced nearly 150 horsepower, which was still about 20 horsepower less than the competition.
|David Murray||7||Ecurie Ecosse|