Spyker was a Dutch carriage, automobile and aircraft manufacturer, started in 1880 by blacksmiths Jacobus and Hendrik-Jan Spijker. Originally located in Hilversum, the company relocated to Trompenburg, Amsterdam in 1898. The brothers registered their business under the name Spyker, written with a ‘Y’ for easier recognition in foreign markets. In 1903 Spyker produced 60 hp racing car intended to take part in 1903 Paris-Madrid race. The car was an important historical milestone, not only for the company, but for the industry as a whole. As released at the 1903 Paris motor show, it featured the world’s first six cylinder engine as well as the world’s first permanent four wheel drive. The only car built by Spyker was not ready in time for the 1903 Paris-Madrid race and did not appear in any other races. The car survived to this day, and after a comprehensive restoration is now exhibited at the Lowman Museum, a collection for historic cars, coaches, and motorcycles in The Hague, Netherlands.
|1903||City to City|