Against the backdrop of its success in Grand Prix racing in the late 1930s, Mercedes decided to try its hand in the junior class of racing cars – in voiturette racing. In very short time between November 1938 and April 1939 Daimler Benz built their own W165 voiturette car. New car was leaned heavily on the new W154 GP car design and was powered with 1.5 litre V8 supercharged engine. Two cars were built and raced only in Tripoli Grand Prix driven to a 1–2 victory by Hermann Lang and teammate Rudolf Caracciola.
|Hermann Lang||16||Daimler-Benz AG|