When the Maserati brothers sold their ailing company to the Orsi family in 1937, they agreed to stay on for a decade. One of their final contributions to the company they founded was a new naturally aspirated straight six engine. It was dubbed the A6 in honour of Alfieri Maserati, who had died in 1932 from complications after a racing accident. Introduced to the public in 1946, the new ‘six’ would serve Maserati for over a decade. In 1947 the Maserati brothers Ernesto, Bindo and Ettore, now released from their contract with the Orsi family packed up their tools and left form OSCA with their sights set on building lightweight, fast racing cars. Designed in conjunction with lead technical engineer Alberto Massimo, the car was officially called the 2000 Sport after the powerful 1978 cc straight-6 under the bonnet. The designation of the model means following: A6 -Alfieri Maserati 6-cylinder engine; G (“Ghiza”) – cylinder block of cast iron; CS – «Corsa Sport», racing sports car. The car is better known as “Monofaro” thanks to a single headlamp in front. The first Monofaro made its debut in 1947 at a Modena sports car race where Ascari and Luigi Villoresi came first and second. The A6GCS Monofaro raced predominantly in Formula 2 races in 1948 – 1950 driven among others by Alberto Ascari, Juan Manuel Fangio and Tazio Nuvolari.
|1947||Sports Car / F2|
|1:43||Leo Models||Maserati 100 Years Collection|