Innovative F1 car designed by Vittorio Jano was built by Lancia company at end of 1954 racing season. The key features of the D50 were aimed to improve stability, weight distribution and aerodynamics of the car. Four-camshaft V8 engine was used as a stressed member in conjunction with a tubular space-frame chassis, the off-center positioning of the engine allows a lower overall height. The most visually characteristic feature of the D50 were side panel fuel tanks positioned between the front and rear wheels. Jano’s objective of such unusual design was to kill two birds with one stone, that is to improve airflow between the wheels and to get constant weight distribution as the fuel was consumed during the race. The car made its racing debut at the last Grand Prix race of the 1954 season at Pedralbes street circuit in Barcelona, but both cars by Alberto Ascari and Luigi Villoresi were retired. The 1955 season for Scuderia Lancia started very promisingly with two victories by Ascari on D50 in Valentino Grand Prix in Turin and in Naples Grand Prix. But in the mid-season of 1955 facing financial trouble and following Alberto Ascari’s death, the Lancia family sold their controlling share in the Lancia company, and the assets of Scuderia Lancia were given to Scuderia Ferrari. Ferrari continued to develop the car and used it during 1955 and 1956 seasons rebadged as Lancia-Ferrari D50. The scale model from Formula 1 Auto Collection represents car driving by Ascari in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix where his Lancia crashed through the barriers into the harbour.
|Alberto Ascari||26||Scuderia Lancia|
|1:43||IXO||Formula 1 Auto Collection|