Alejandro de Tomaso, former Argentinian racing driver living Italy, founded De Tomaso Automobili in Modena in 1959. He built Formula Junior, F3 and F2 cars, powered by OSCA or by de Tomaso own engines. De Tomaso constructed 1.5-lirte Formula 2 car powered by Conrero Alfa Romeo engine in 1960, as 1.5-litre F2 was about to expire. The 1.5-litre cars reappeared in 1961 as F1. Six cars were built, four had OSCA four-cylinder engines, two was powered by Conrero-developed Alfa Romeo Giulietta engines. Italians Giorgio Scarlatti, Roberto Businello, Nino Vaccarella, Roberto Lippi and some others drove these cars in various non-championship events and in few championship Grands Prix. Scarlatti raced Scuderia Serenissima OSCA-powered car in the French Grand Prix at Reims and did not finish the race. Three de Tomaso F1 cars appeared in the Italian Grand Prix. Works car by Roberto Businello and Scuderia Serenissima car by Nino Vaccarella were powered by Alfa Rome engine and car entered by Scuderia Settecolli for Roberto Lippi had OSCA engine. All three retired early in the race due to engine failures.
|Giorgio Scarlatti||34||Scuderia Serenissima|