Emeryson cars first appeared in the early 1930s when George Emery built several racing specials under the Emeryson name. After World War II, his son Paul followed in his father’s footsteps and continued building racing specials. By the early 1950s, he built a few cars for the Formula 3 series before turning his attention to Formula 2. First Emeryson Formula 1 car was built and raced by Paul Emery in 1956. It was powered by 2.5-litres Alta S4 engine. Few years later when Formula 1 switched to 1.5-litre motors, Emeryson returned to F1 design with the financial support from former Cooper works driver Alan Mann and some associates. In 1961, a Coventry-Climax-engined Formula 1 cars were built for Bruce Halford who drove it in non-championship events. Several F1 cars were also built for Equipe Nationale Belge (ENB). One of their cars (‘P’ chassis) was powered by the Coventry-Climax FPF 1.5 L S4 engine while the other 3 (1001, 1002, and 1003) were fitted with Maserati Tipo 6 1.5 L4 motor. The drivers of the Belgian team – Olivier Gendebien, Willy Mairesse, Lucien Bianchi and Andre Pilette were frequent entrants in many non-championship races in 1961 and Bianchi and Gendebien entered Emerysons in the Monaco Grand Prix as well. One of the many Formula 1 races not counted to the World Championship in 1961 was Brussels Grand Prix held on Heysel circuit, and of course, ENB was taking part in his home race full strength. Gendebien and Bianchi drove Maserati powered cars while Mairesse raced in Emeryson-Climax ‘P’ chassis. The race was won by Jack Brabhan in Cooper-Climax. The best of ENB, Bianchi was 4th, Mairesse 8th, and Gendebien retired. The Climax-powered car #38 driven by Willy Mairesse is represented in this scale model by Villa Model.
|1961||F1||Bruxelles Grand Prix|
|Willy Mairesse||38||Equipe Nationale Belge|