After the dominance of its pre-war cars, Mercedes returned to Grand Prix racing in 1954 and dominated again. The German team had two versions of its unbeatable W196 – car with streamlined body for fast circuits and traditional open-wheeled version for slower tracks. The latter, although it had 28% more drag, was 40 kg lighter and allowed the driver to see the wheels, which facilitated handling in difficult corners. So, streamlined version was used in Reims, Silverstone, and Monza, and open-wheels car in Nurburgring, Bremgarten, and Pedralbes. From his four wins in 1954 with Merceds Fangio won twice in the streamlined car (at French and Italian Grands Prix), and twice in open-wheeler (at German and Swiss Grands Prix). The scale model by IXO from Museo Fangio Collection represents Fangio’s car from the German Grand Prix.
See also models of 1954 streamliner driven by Fangio in Reims and open-wheeled car from Spa.
|Juan Manuel Fangio||18||Daimler Benz AG|
|1:43||IXO||Luppa Colleccion Museo Fangio|